Wednesday, June 08, 2022

Garment Sewing

 

At about the time I was thinking about sewing a few summer basics for my wardrobe, I ran across Sonya Philip's lovely book, The Act of Sewing.    This book a good introduction to garment making and includes patterns for four simple garments: pants, top, skirt, and blouse.  It also includes some great information on adjustments one can make to these garments to make them fit better, as well as to add stylistic complexity: different kinds of hems, necklines, etc.


I decided to start with the pants, which are loose-fitting and cropped. With an elastic waist and two pattern pieces, they made up quickly.  I didn't realize how much ease is built into the sizing, and next time, I'll make one size smaller.  


The cropped top was made from a silk wrap-around skirt I'd been saving for a long time. 


I centered the existing button band (more or less) on the front when I cut out the pieces.  The top is loose, though I made a smaller size than I made for the pants.  I think I'll add some darts so it's a bit more fitted, and like with the pants, I'll make a smaller one next time.

 

All in all, I scratched my itch to sew something to wear.  I don't need more garments right now, but I will turn to this book again when I decide to sew something up for myself.

1 comment:

Debra Dixon said...

Once you get the fit right on your garments, you can do all kinds of fun techniques with them.
Using the existing buttons for front opening is clever. I like to do that with as much readymade detail as possible. Why not? The work has already been done!

This top would be a cute patchwork top with a few prints and a readymade button front.

Good work!

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...