Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Locker Hooking


I've been fascinated with locker hooking since Vicki posted about her project some time ago. It's a craft where you take strips of fabric, "hook" them through a mesh canvas, and then "lock" them down by running a cotton string through the loops. There's not a lot on information on locker hooking on the web, but this site, which sells supplies, including patterns, also has a very useful tutorial that can get you started.


You use up a lot of strips of fabric in this craft. I of course have lots of fabric, and some of it is even already in strips, but instead, I'm using up old cotton curtains, sheets and pillowcases that are worn thin, faded, or even holey. It's easy to cut the 1" strips with a rotary cutter and ruler.


I ordered my canvas and needle from an eBay vendor. It was a big canvas, so I cut it in half for my first rug. I like the way these random colors work together. For my next rug I will probably use the pre-printed grid to do a checkerboard or other similar pattern. A lot of simple quilt patterns could easily be used to make patterns.

Other items one could make with this craft include place mats, table runners, and handbags. I find it relaxing and easy to do. Working a random pattern like this one takes little thought.

I've seen starter kits with a locker hooking needle and canvas bundled with recent books on Amazon. That would be another way to get started. You probably have plenty of fabric strips itching to be rugs too.

24 comments:

Vicki W said...

So glad I could help out! LOL! You sure do store your stuff a lot neater than I do. I really like my rug and should do another one.

Cathi said...

I started a locker hooking project a couple of years ago, but got bored with it. I was working in a square pattern, but I like your back & forth better. Looks easier. Maybe I'll get mine out & work on it some more! Thanks for the inspiration.

Debra Dixon said...

That looks like a fabulous background for some embroidery or collaging! or big felt flowers! It certainly is a good way to use pretty undesirable fabrics up. Good for you!

Judy S. said...

What a nifty way to reduce your stash! Nice colors, too.

Donna said...

I've used small lockerhook pieces as trivets, and have a wonderfully warm tea cozy done in random colours :-)

Kay said...

I never heard of that before, but I like your project. Very pretty colors, and it makes a nice abstract sort of pattern.

allie aller said...

That does look like truly enjoyable work. I'll go check out the tutorial you linked to...
....I need a new entryway rug, you see.... ;-)

JoWynn Johns said...

Well, I've learned something new. Your example looks great, too.

Susan Elliott said...

You really are too cool. Funny, I just saw locker hooking supplies in Nordic Needle's catalog and I had no idea what it was. That was yesterday, then today, here you are with all the answers. Always on the cutting edge, Barbara...

BTW, i agree that the colors look really nice together. Old sheets and curtains...just too cool for school...

Jeanne said...

I just picked up a kit at a garage sale, and am anxious to try locker hooking. I probably won't do the kit pattern, though -- I like your random streaks and stripes.

Did you finish the edges before you began hooking the center?

Jeanne ... on my way over to check out the link to Vicki's project, too!

Granny Fran said...

What a great look; and it can be done while sitting with Joe in the evening. I've been wanting to find a non sewing machine project to do evenings and this would go so well with my farmhouse style.

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Wow what a great blog you have. I just found out about locker hooking yesterday and stumbled onto your site today. I need a hobby and this looks like it would be great. Do you sell the supplies and patterns too?
Thanks
Maggie

Anonymous said...

I've done several small projects and am currently working on a picture rug. I want to hook some sections based on color rather than back and forth. Can anyone tell me how to fasten the cotton string so it stays put after the project is being used/washed? Normally I tie the new string to the working string, but you can't do that when you're working by section.

Anonymous said...

Help - question - has anyone recycled tee shirts - cutting strips and using them for locker hooking? Would greatly appreciate your comments - thanks !
PeggyAnnie

Barbara C said...

I haven't used t-shirts for this kind of project, but I can see that it would work fine. Just use the t-shirt strips as you would regular fabric strips.

NancyB said...

Am ready to start my first locker hooking creation. One question - is it important to wash the fabric before using it? Thanks

Anonymous said...

I have a problem with the mesh clumpping together..any advice?

Unknown said...

I love this idea but I need a visual look at the how to's of it. I understand the hooking part but not the running a thread through it. can you help?

Anonymous said...

I bought the necessary items to try this. But the webbing is so stiff and difficult to maneuver. Is there a way to soften this?

Unknown said...

Nice

Anonymous said...

Gracias. Hoy aprendi algo nuevo

Anonymous said...

It gets easier as you work it. Found that when I got past the edge it went fast.

Unknown said...

What site are they talking about with instructions and materials?

Dragonfly said...

The outside border is the hardest part to do, then it just requires a good cocktail, hgtv and time. You can find supplies online at www.colorcrazy.com Enjoy

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...