Saturday, May 21, 2022

More Mending


I've done a few more mending projects, the first being this darning job.  I found the perfect lightweight wool cardigan at the thrift store, but when I got it home I noticed that it had a hole in the shoulder.
I knew I had some darning wool somewhere.  I'm still getting oriented to where I put things away after our move.  If I hadn't found this mending yarn, I figured I could take a strand from some navy wool I had somewhere. 
 
 
Luckily I found what I was looking for, as well as a few other cards of mending wool I have in stash.  I don't even know where one would buy these things nowadays.  These are mostly vintage items.

I think my darning was a success.  It's not noticeable at all in real life.  If it were, I'd embroider or applique over it.

 
I'll have to be more observant at the thrift store.  I found this cute cotton blouse, but once I got it home I noticed someone had cut off it's original sleeves and roughly hemmed it by hand.  Not to worry, I repaired it with some bias tape in a similar color.  It would have also looked cute with a contrasting color.

I had a stash of bias binding that I got rid of when I moved, so I actually went out and bought this one retail.  Sure I've seen bundles of bias tape at the thrift store, but I'm avoiding the acquisition of things I won't use up in the near future, unless of course, it's buttons.

 

I've worn this top a few times already, it's very comfortable and light.



 Here's a random picture of my cats Boots and Smokey.  You can see Violet in the background of the first picture.  They love to hang out in the dog bed and make the dog sleep on the floor.  They're so bossy.

2 comments:

Judy S. said...

Nice work on the mending! Both things look great. Your kitties are adorable!

Debra Dixon said...

I’ve broken my motto of “only but what’s in perfect shape” lately with a skirt that needs a zipper. I wonder how long that will take to replace? Mending isn’t high on my list.

You can’t beat a soft flowing blouse for summer! Nice versatile piece.

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...