Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Vintage Buttons

I found a bag full of vintage buttons at the neighborhood thrift store recently.  I love finding buttons on the original cards, the graphics are so evocative.


This one seemed especially poignant to me with it's cheerful message and missing buttons.


Of course the buttons themselves are also appealing, with their distinctive designs and colors.


I'll use many of these for knitting projects.  For many sweaters I like to add not only visible buttons, but I use plain ones as anchors on the inside of the button band for stability.


These soft pink buttons are especially appealing.


I've never seen a card with a random collection of buttons before.  I wonder what would motivate someone to buy these?  


The prices, of course, tell their own historical story.  



 These might be my favorites in the bunch, and I can envision them on a cute little cardigan.  A sweater project might just evolve from buttons like these.

1 comment:

Debra Dixon said...

I’m always hesitant to remove vintage buttons from their cards. It seems like it changes their history & I don’t know what to do with the cards.

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...