Monday, March 28, 2022

Pillow and Blanket

I acquired some lovely needlepoint pieces from Debra, including this one, which is a vintage pillow cover stitched from the back on velvet.  The pillow inside is a thrifted feather pillow, which Debra also tipped me off to.  There are almost always feather pillows in the thrift stores, she explained.  They usually have removable covers, and although they might say dry clean only, I've washed my feather duvet for years, so these go through the wash too.


The stitchery was a little smaller than the pillow, so I pieced scraps of upholstery fabric in dark colors for the border and backing. 

 I love the way this looks in my living room.


My niece Maria gave me pieces of pink fabrics she'd bought to make cloth masks, back when we were all making them.  I thought I'd make a baby quilt for her sister Nina's now-arrived baby girl.  I'd been admiring this cross pattern online, and there are multiple ways to execute it, but I picked the one that fit the fabric pieces I was working with.


For each block of this quilt I cut 4-4.5" and 2-2.5" squares of background fabric and 2-2.5" and 1-6.5" pieces from the feature fabric.  The pieces go together very easily, with minimal seams to match.



 Another baby quilt in the world warms a new baby.  I'm definitely in the baby quilt groove these days.

3 comments:

Judy S. said...

What a pretty quilt! It looks like a really nice pattern.

Rian said...

Hood to know about the feather pillows! The one you made is lovely, also the baby quilt is so sweet!

Debra Dixon said...

Finally that latch hook piece is seeing the light of day! Bravo!

The Plus quilt is fabulous! I'm sure it will be loved forever. :-)

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...