Saturday, March 12, 2022

Baby Sweater Round Up

When I moved I had to face the true scope of my yarn stash.  As a consequence, this is the year of the baby sweater.  These little projects are using up small quantities of yarn, especially odd single balls, and they will be donated through the For the Children of Pine Ridge group on Ravelry.  This little red sweater was knit from a large ball of recycled yarn, and it's a size 2-4 years.  The pattern, the Roma Baby Cardigan, is free, but the design is flawed with a large neck opening that many knitters have re-engineered. I don't do gauge swatches for these sweaters, so when it came out bigger than the pattern specifies, I just made it longer in the body and sleeves to compensate.


My stash busting for these sweaters includes trim for the button band backs, and the buttons, which so far have all been from my collection.  For the next sweater I stitched two thin pieces of trim together to make the button band backing.


I've made two sweaters so far using the Fuss Free Baby Cardigan pattern and a bag of leftover dk superwash yarn.  


The beanies were stitched from the cast-on numbers in a children's knitwear pattern book.  


All the socks in this post are knit from the same free pattern, Ribbed Far-Away Baby Socks.  The pattern is for newborn socks, but I make them longer for a 6-month size.



This last set is from a classic, and also free pattern, the Baby Boy 5 Hour Sweater.  The pattern is pretty gender neutral, so I used up a special ball of pink yarn.  The lovely old-fashioned bonnet is Debutant by Sweet Paprika Designs.
 

3 comments:

Magpie Sue said...

Cute, cute, cute! Wonderful that you are experienced enough to be able to alter patterns according to what you need to use up.

Debra Dixon said...

Those little sweaters are so stinkin' cute! What a perfect way to use up odd small balls of yarn. I'm sure the mothers will appreciate them for their babies.

Good karma!

Judy S. said...

Nice work on the stash busting! I love those sweaters. I, too, am trying to whittle down my huge stash, but it's a slow process. And then there are all those UFOs of all sorts!

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...