Sunday, February 06, 2022

From the Vault

 
This christening dress I made 37 years ago recently came back to me for minor repairs.  I made it for my niece Nina's baptism, and she's going to turn 37 soon.  She wore it, my daughter Allie wore it, and my sister's younger daughter Maria (Nina's sister) also wore it.  Since then, it's been in my sister Linda's care.  Now that Nina is expecting her second child, a girl, my sister thought it would be good to bring the gown out so it can be worn by the next generation.

 

I used a commercial pattern to make the gown--maybe it was a mid-80s Butterick.  It included iron-on transfers for the embroidery.  In retrospect, I wish I'd made a more gender-neutral gown so my nephew and my son could've worn it too, but I think when my nephew was born--he's the oldest of my and my sister's kids-- I wasn't the sewing enthusiast I came to be.


The gown has held up really well.  The fabric is some kind of cotton-poly blend, and it has stayed white.  The lace is nylon and has yellowed, but not bad for an almost 40-year-old garment.  The tiny repair I had to make was to sew up the shoulder seams, which probably came unsewn from the weight of hanging on the hanger.



 I love these pearl buttons.  They're decorative, and the opening is actually velcro.  It took me a long time to learn to make buttonholes and I avoided them for years.  The dress has a long sewing story to tell.

2 comments:

Judy S. said...

So glad to wee you posting again! That is an absolutely gorgeous christening dress! Don't you wish "old" things could tell their stories?

Debra Dixon said...

I had cards of those heart buttons in my fabric store in the 80s. I still have them and should probably use them. They've been a little treasure to me all these years.

With boys I didn't have any christening gowns. They are such a sweet garment. Yours is very feminine and darling.

I recently had a friend write asking if I wanted a wall hanging back which I did. It was strange getting it returned. Last year I had another friend send me back a quilt she had enjoyed many years but was downsizing and wanted me to have it back.

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...