Monday, January 06, 2020

Street Fabric


I've been doing a lot of walking lately.  I've enrolled in a program to get in shape, so in addition to going to the gym, I spend a lot of time taking walks around the neighborhood.


We've also added Sarah the Rescue Dog to our household, and she requires these walks too, so between Sarah and the get-in-shape plan, I'm spending lots of time cruising the neighborhood.

In my town it's pretty common for people to leave things they want to get rid of on the curb.  Lots of times it's just junk, but recently Sarah and I stumbled on a stash of Street Fabric.
 

Yes, it was spread out over the ground in a snarl, and yes, it had been rained on, but I recognized that it was the good stuff right away.


In this trove were fat quarters, half yards and even one yard lengths, in addition to some sewing remnants of quilt shop-quality fabrics.


 I scooped up as much as I could and carried the wet ball back to my house.  Yes, of course, I ran into a neighbor on the way, who was polite enough not to ask what that wet ball was that I was carrying in one hand, while holding the leash in the other.  The next day I went back and rescued the fabrics I missed the first time, and assured myself that I hadn't missed any.  After washing and ironing the goods, you can see what I took away.  Who knew I'd get more than fresh air and exercise for my troubles? It's like Santa missed the chimney, but got close to the house.


3 comments:

beth s said...

What an amazing find. I would have done the same exact thing. Enjoy Santa's gift.

Debra Dixon said...

You are now the Queen of Free Fabric! What a lucky find. I'd love to know the story behind the trashed fabrics.
I anticipate seeing them in person one of these days! :-)

Magpie Sue said...

What a find!

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...