Saturday, January 04, 2020

A Big Finish




Happy 2020, may the new year bring us health and creativity.  I'm celebrating the new year with a big finish: a king sized quilt I made for my daughter Allie and her husband Brandon that I worked on over the last 2 years.


The pattern is Bonnie Hunter's "Wild Child" from her book String Fling.  I made my quilt in a similar colorway as the one in the book because I happened to have a whole bunch of solid turquoise fabric.  In fact, I still have a bunch.  Lord knows where I got it.


 It was a lot of fun assembling the fabrics for this quilt.  Lots came from stash, but I also bought some novelties to reflect the interests of the recipients.


Under the pillow turn are portraits of Allie and Brandon's three cats.




Here is some math for this project:  112 x 96 inches, 168 blocks, 1680 half-square triangles.  Lots of matching seams (I did get better at it as I went along).  I was feeling brave and straight-line quilted it myself. 


The quilt has gone to live in its permanent home, where the cats are already sleeping on it, and the people are sleeping under it.  



 On to the next project...

PS.  For some reason, I don't get email notice of comments.  I'm trying to fix it.


1 comment:

Debra Dixon said...

I'm a fan! I just can't believe you still have scraps left over! :-)

Great work!

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...