Monday, January 03, 2022

Big Scrappy ( 62 x 73")

 



After a really busy 2021, I'm back in the sewing room in a new house and a new town.  Michael and I relocated to be nearer to family, and while there are still projects going on here at the the new house, I was inspired to use up a drawer of scraps to make my favorite kind of big scrappy quilt.


 
This kind of quilt really appeals to me.  It's visually busy, and there are few places to rest the eye.  I used more white than I typically do in this one, and this gives the shapes some definition.

 

When sorting this drawer full of scrappy goodness, I cut the fabrics into 2 x 3.5" rectangles, and made 4" half-square triangles, in addition to the main string pieced blocks.  These have been versatile units to work with,

 

I got pretty close to the bottom of this drawer, and I'm thinking of adding a row of small string-pieced blocks to the composition.  As you can see, I've got lots to work with still, but I'm letting the project rest while I consider my options. 

Here's to a happy and creative 2022!

3 comments:

Judy S. said...

So great to see your post!! Where are you living now? A move takes a whole lot of work, doesn't it? That quilt is going to be beautiful! I have fond memories of our crazy quilt group.

Debra Dixon said...

Big Scrappy is so you Barbara! It's great to be back blogging. Happy New Year my beautiful friend!

Magpie Sue said...

I thought maybe I'd just lost track of you like I have so many others! This is my favorite kind of quilt too; it's looking fabulous. Feels good to get all those scraps put to good use too!

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...