Sunday, February 14, 2010

Winter Madonna Update


Between making pillowcases for Operation Pillowcase, I'm working on my Winter Madonna. I've fussy cut some poinsettias from fabric and ironed them on to form a tree. Besides being a Christmas flower, the poinsettia is a Mexican flower, so it fits thematically with the Virgin of Guadalupe, though traditionally, her flower is the rose.



I'm blending silk ribbon embroidered poinsettias with the fabric ones, and I've added silk ribbon leaves that blend with the leaves in the background fabric.



The elements blend into one uniform plant with various levels. I can't wait to add beads to the centers of the silk ribbon flowers.

I've also added trim around the moon and duplicate stitched over the lace to highlight three roses. I used some shiny DMC thread.

Happy Valentine's Day to all my pals!

12 comments:

Debra Dixon said...

It's really fun to see how you have changed the napkin and the Madonna panel piece to fit each season. This is one dynamite series!

sophie said...

I think this one could become my favorite in the series. I love the stitching you did on the lace.

allie aller said...

Same to you, Barbara...and She is looking lovely!

beth said...

this is wonderful. Thanks for all the close up pictures!

Judy S. said...

Beautiful! The poinsettia's are a great choice, I think. Hope you have a great day too.

Magpie Sue said...

Winter Madonna is going to be another stunner.

Happy Valentine's Day to you too :- )

quiltmom anna said...

Beautiful Barbara, just beautiful- poinsettia's are my wedding flowers so I have a soft spot for them. They are so vibrant and rich- It will be another glorious piece.
Do come and visit my blog if you like bracelets- I am having a giveaway as part of the OWOH blogging festival. I will draw the names on Monday at lunch time( it is Family day here)
You can find it here: http://quiltmomsjourney.blogspot.com/
Regards,
Anna

Rian said...

The ribbon poinsettias are a very effective treatment juxtaposed with the printed background. Love your new photo. Lookin' good.

Susan Elliott said...

love love LOVE the ribbon embroidery on top of the vintage fleurs! This madonna is rockin'!

dee said...

Another beauty Barbara. The black lace is so lovely as are your silk flowers. So appropriate to the winter.

JoWynn Johns said...

What more can I say? Lovely,lovely, lovely!sursi

JoWynn Johns said...

The "sursi" above was supposed to be in the character identification box.

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...