Monday, February 22, 2010

Fair Isle Vest



I'm knitting a Fair Isle vest. Fair Isle uses multiple colors: traditionally two colors per row, and anywhere from two to countless colors in the whole garment.


This vest uses nine colors and I'm making it from a kit: the Corrie Fair Isle Vest from Knit Picks. I bought two kits when they went on clearance. I'm knitting this one for my mom since she likes bright colors. Her vest is a good test project because I can knit the smallest size for her and getting a feel for the technique. It's very satisfying to reach each section and to see the patterns unfold.


The kit I bought for myself is in neutral browns and greens.


And what's goes with knitting better than cats? Here's a cute picture of Louie in a basket.

...and one of Fatty in a box on the porch on an old quilt.

7 comments:

Rian said...

The fair isle vest is beautiful to say the least. It looks daunting, but the results will be worth it I'm sure.

beth said...

What a wonderful gift for Mom! It's beautiful.

Debra Dixon said...

My mom is working on a fair isle sweater at the moment too. She loves fair isle knitting. It always reminds me of cross stitch.

Your mom's vest is going to be very pretty! have you ever thought of designing your own sweater?

Judy S. said...

Those colors are really nice, Barbara. I especially like the heathery purple in the ribbing. Good job! I find colorwork difficult.

Magpie Sue said...

I hope "Fatty" is just a nickname! He/she may be fat (doesn't look it in the picture) but such a beautiful animal deserves a better name than that!

I see that you've updated your profile pic too. Good on you; it's a lovely picture. :- )

Susan Elliott said...

Your colorwork is beautiful! And the close up pics today of your stitching are a feast for my eyes...

Sheri said...

Cute cats.

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...