Monday, June 02, 2014

A Chevron Scarf from Self-Striping Sock Yarn


I  have a stash of self-striping sock yarn, in spite of the fact that knitting socks isn't that compelling for me.  I love to wear hand knit socks, but it takes me, on average, three years to crank out a pair.
  

Now, I like to knit scarves, and I love chevron stripes.  Wouldn't you know, that self-striping sock yarn makes a pretty nice scarf too.

The free pattern is Kary's Chevron Scarf.  It's a simple 4-row repeat, and 2/3 of a 100 gram ball of yarn gave me this 9.5 x 68" scarf.   I knit it until I reached 70", but when I blocked it, stretching out the width took up some of the length.  To make it lacier, instead of the "knit front and back" in row 1 of the pattern, I did a yarn-over knit one. 


Lovely stripes, with none of the effort of changing yarn colors. 

3 comments:

Magpie Sue said...

That scarf turned out lovely. I love the lacey look of it. Bet it's even prettier in person!

You made a nice haul from the thrift shop where your parents live. What a satisfying trip that must have been for you. :- )

sophie said...

Those yarn-overs you used really makes a difference in the look of the scarf–so much different than the one on the pattern page on revelry and more interesting.

margaret said...

what a beauty, this will attract many admirers when you wear it

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...