Monday, September 16, 2013

Museum Monday: In the Button Box


Beth over at Love Laugh Quilt proposed a Sewing Museum this week in which people post some of their vintage goodies.  I've dumped out some of my vintage metal buttons to share.

The buttons above are funny to me because they resemble the heads of screws.  How's that for an industrial look?  Following that theme, the ones at the bottom of the photo have metal "thread" in fake button holes.


Here are some plain brass buttons: both two holed and four holed.


I love these "primitive" mid-century buttons.  They have what looks like a cave painting design.


More oval and modern buttons in two sizes.


I've also got some military or police uniform buttons.  The sewer strung them together to keep them tidy.


This collection of lady head buttons comes in three sizes. These really remind me of coins.





More military/police uniform buttons, in two colors.


These are mysterious:  the inscription says "Highland '16 Scottish."  Perhaps they were from a band or lodge uniform. 

All these buttons were inherited stash from my sister-in-law's mother.  Apparently she was an avid needle worker and she recycled many buttons.

11 comments:

Debra Dixon said...

Some cool buttons! Any plans for them?

smazoochie said...

What a wonderful collection!
I'm guessing that many of them are brass or copper, the images make them look a beautiful rosy pink.
Thanks!

My Sister Made Me Do It.... said...

Yes I agree that this is an awesome collection! Thanks for sharing.

lindaroo said...

What a charming collection! The colors and styles are unique, aren't they? I'll bet it's fun to sort them out like this!

Needled Mom said...

Your buttons are lovely. That is a nice collection.

beth said...

Thanks for linking up! YOU inspire me ALL the time. Right now I'm working on a crotchet afghan...ALL because of you. ;)

Deborah Hamilton said...

Those are interesting buttons. I like the military ones.

Jill said...

Your antique buttons would like nice displayed in a clear glass container - an antique one of course.

Julie S said...

Your buttons are beautiful! I don't think I have seen metal buttons in that color before. How did you get them so clean and shiny?

Quilter Kathy said...

Amazing collection!

Quilter Kathy said...

Amazing collection!

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...