Sunday, June 17, 2012

May CQJP Block and Buttonhole Wheels



I caught up with the CQJP challenge and finished my May block.


On the blue patch I did the butterfly stitch from last month's TAST challenge.  I took out a bag of crewel embroidery thread, which I used here to tie the "butterflies."  I'll be using this more, it adds some nice texture.  I added minimal seam embellishments behind the vine, just to balance things out.


I figured out the knotted cretan stitch, shown above in coral, and embellished it with some French knots and lazy daisy stitch.  I found this birdcage in the jewelry section of a craft store, and hung it from the vine.  It's pinned in place temporarily, and I'll stitch it down when I piece the final project together.


Here's my semi-naked June CQJP block.  The cardinal print was a gift from Debra.


In stitching the buttonhole wheels, I stitched it once in a dark gold crewel thread, and then repeated the stitch over the completed wheel with a lighter gold thread.


The hand is also a jewelry component.  I'm going to figure out a way to camouflage the rings at either end of the piece.


...Some half wheels.


Not a bad start on this block.

1 comment:

Deb said...

I love those buttonhole wheel flowers in the last picture, and the hand - she looks kind of like she's holding a key. So pretty,and I love the little touches of black. It really adds something to the block. I had some of those same green leaf beads, and wish I could find more of them. Another stunner!

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...