Monday, January 16, 2012

TAST Week 2: Buttonhole Stitch


This week I used buttonhole stitch as the foundation for this seam treatment.  From this angle you can see how the buttonhole stitch forms the stems for the blue and pink flowers.  The blue flowers are French knots, and the pink ones are Lazy Daisy and French knot combinations.  The leaves are  Lazy Daisy stitches.


Here you can see the trim in its right-side-up orientation.  I like the way the flowers are growing in both directions of the seam.  At the bottom of the picture you can see part of my feather stitch and buttons seam treatment.  I found a package of tiny buttons at JoAnn Fabric in a coordinating colorway that I'm going to use throughout this piece.


I've also added some wheat to one patch, and I've got a hummingbird positioned that I hope to embroider this week.  The outline is from an Aunt Martha embroidery transfer.

This week is the first week of school.  We'll see how much time I have to stitch now that I'm back to work.

4 comments:

Debra Dixon said...

Forgot to mention on the TS blog how much the little straight stitches just add to the thistle.

I do hope you have time to stitch because this piece has great energy and I want you to keep the momentum going!!

Judy S. said...

Can't wait to see how you stitch that hummer! Love the tiny button flowers, the wheat, all of it really! Nice work!

Rian said...

It's very pretty--and it looks like you're having fun with it!

Deborah M. said...

Love the pink and blue flowers. You might see something that looks familiar on my cq block one of these days. ;-)

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...