Sunday, April 18, 2010

Project Updates


I've been working on a few projects in my typical erratic fashion. I'll spend a couple of hours hand sewing, a few hours knitting here and there on various projects, and every couple of weeks, I manage some machine sewing. I've done some more work on my AAQ project. In the closeup you can see that I've added tiny French knots and beads over some dots in the hankie fabric. I've also duplicate stitched some petals in green cotton.

The lace in this piece was a gift from Allie Aller. I'm glad to have found a very special use for it. After I embellish the lace, I think this piece will be done. I think I'm going to bind it with ribbon. I haven't done this before, so I'll have to play with it a bit.

I've made a big stack of pillowcases for Operation Pillowcase. These didn't all fit into one box, so I'll be sending another box in the near future. If you'd like to add even one or two pillowcases to the next package, let me know. Operation Pillowcase has now sent over 1100 pillowcases to service members in Afghanistan. It's amazing what dedicated sewers have accomplished.


I treated myself to a copy of Martha Stewart's new craft and sewing book. It's a great book with plenty of projects: baby items, linens, toys, and it has an extensive section of basic instructions of various techniques for new crafters.

Of course the photography is clean and beautiful, and the projects have a contemporary feel.


Aren't these cute potholders?

We're still getting plenty of rain here, but the sunny days in between have been delightful. I hope you are enjoying these Spring days.

5 comments:

Debra Dixon said...

Good looking fabrics you are using for the pillowcases. It's been fun to put together some quick combinations.

Such a lovely Madonna--She is sure to bring AAQ bucks at the auction.

Judy S. said...

There will be people fighting over your Madonna piece, I just know it, Barbara. She is a beauty! Good job on the pillowcases; they're sure to be appreciated.

Magpie Sue said...

Wow, look at that new header photo! I keep thinking someday I'll update my blog, maybe personalize the header, but I'm pretty chicken when it comes to messing with computer stuff.

I've been so preoccupied with my scrappy blocks that an entry for the AAQ auction hasn't happened yet. Maybe I'll just be one of the ones bidding on yours!

Susan Elliott said...

*sigh I swoon for the pink madonna...that lace is lo-ve-ly~~~!!

allie aller said...

She is looking lovely indeed. I'm so glad you found a way to use that lace, too!
Martha Stewart books are incredibly well done, no doubt about it. This one looks like a winner.

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...