Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Size Matters

I started piecing these blocks, which are from a Karen Stone pattern called "Mississippi Wheel of Fortune," published in the March/April 2003 issue of American Patchwork and Quilting.

I started out using up some scraps, thinking I could make a lot of blocks before the scrap drawer was empty.

But then I thought about controlling the color palette, limiting it to clear bright colors. The scraps won't go quite as far if I do that.

The pattern is pretty easy. Parts are pieced, parts are paper pieced, and some sections are joined by applying rick-rack, turning the edge, then top-stitching it down.

Louie helped by pointing out his favorite scraps.
But he wanted to edit the pattern a bit. I retain the right to reject his suggestions.

I ended up with four blocks, and then sat down to really think about what's next. The pattern has dog tooth sashing strips that I like, but I started feeling like I was running out of enthusiasm for this project. I know I can stop at four blocks or make the commitment for nine or more.

I played with the idea of solid sashing and a border so I could finish up and move on. I pretty much rejected the idea of a large quilt for now.

Mrs. Mel had a great post on her blog Fibermania (see January 8th "Good Question...") about why she no longer makes large quilts, and her ideas really resonated with me.

I haven't decided what to do yet. In the meantime, these blocks are going to marinate in the WISP pile.

13 comments:

Vicki W said...

I love those blocks! I've made 2 Karen Stone quilts and have several of her patterns. I really like them.

allie aller said...

Those block are some of the most attractive I have ever seen...just love the pattern.
I'd hate to see you dilute their impact by too much sashing and busy border...just my opinion.

Debra Dixon said...

Well I certainly recognize many of the pieces of fabrics in those blocks! and can send more. Really, I can!

I loved how the blocks looked side by side. How about 6 as a long skinny banner? You could even put rick rack around the edge and a big ole tassel at the bottom.

These blocks remind me of my NY Beauty blocks that I worked on 2 years ago and still need to finish. They start out fun and falter fast.

Gerry said...

These are awesome. What a great idea for a childs room.

Anonymous said...

I love anything Karen Stone does, but this one in particular appeals to me. Nice to hear the blocks aren't difficult. Hmmmm.... No! I simply cannot start another quilt right now. But thanks for tempting me.

Susan said...

Very interesting blocks, and a great scrap project. I kind of like them separated by those green strips - when they are next to each other, they seemed a little heavy on the right side. I think you were balancing by the colors in the circles, but the outside was what my eye saw. The strips helped that a little. Whatever you do with them will be great, though, and putting them away for a while is probably a good way to find just the right answer.

Deb Hardman said...

What a fun scrappy-happy little quilt. I like what you've got there.I just makes me want to smile.& loved what you said about Louie. My Broc is often helpful like that.

Magpie Sue said...

You didn't ask for input but I have to say that I love the four blocks and the sashing! The four patch border doesn't do anything for me though. Funny how quickly we can tire of an idea that was once so exciting...

Finn said...

Hi Barb, what great blocks! Putzy in my opinion, but the look is wonderful! I especially like the pic with NO sashing between them...they seem to feed off each others energy that way. I'm sure whatever you do will be wonderful, as always *VBS*
Great find on that wing chair by the way, and I do love the final look of Julia and her fabulous quilt! Very tongue in cheeky of you *VBS* Hugs, Finn

Jo Raines said...

These are beautiful and they certainly don't look simple. Thank you for your comments on my blog. I tried to post the link to my pillow but failed miserably. I've got to figure out how to do that!

Granny Fran said...

Looking at those blocks makes me happy! The colors and patterns are so gay; that's a word I still love and resent alternate usages of.

Anonymous said...

I just had to come back again. Despite my protests, I found myself shopping for reeeaaaaallly brights last weekend. I have them washed and ironed ... and I ran off some templates on freezer paper from my Karen Stone EQ program ... and I read the (very sparse) instructions .... So far I haven't put scissors to cloth, but I'm itching to make some of these babies. (BTW, do the blocks finish 12"? I can't find that simple fact anywhere in the book or the software. I finally measured the center circle and deduced it is a 12" block.)

Unknown said...

My quilt guild has been looking for instructions on how to make this block. Where would they be found? I would greatly appreciate some direction on how to locate them. Your blocks look great!

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...