Thursday, February 02, 2006

A Quilt of My Very Own


I told the story a few posts ago about how I'd made a king-sized quilt, had it professionally quilted, and then it languished, unbound, in the sewing room as a cat mattress. Well, the cats are still napping on it, but now it's bound and it's on my bed.

I really love this quilt. It's made in part from a ton of 3" squares that I found in a thrift store. It has all kinds of oddball fabrics in it from the 60s and 70s that keep cropping up in my quilts. I used all the red ones in this quilt, as well as some of the others.

This quilt is very warm and cozy, and the cat hair hardly shows up at all. Incidentally, I run my quilts through the dryer with no heat for 20-30 minutes about once a week, which very successfully removes the cat hair.

I'm glad to have my finished quilt because, given the weather, I need the extra comfort. These days I'm ready to grow gills. I can't count the number of straight days of rain we've had. Tonight I drove home past a pasture which has become a large pond. The symphony of frogs was so loud that even with the windows up it drowned out the radio.

6 comments:

sophie said...

Scrap quilts were my first love ... and I love yours!

Deb Geyer said...

It's a beauty!

Debra Dixon said...

Your quilt looks perfect and I can see the Madonna gets to look at it all day too and approve! Very pretty!

Samantha said...

hooray for finishing! bet it feels fantastic!

Rian said...

Oh, that's a beauty! Happy dance for you for finishing it! We also have a neighborhood frog-symphony--it's LOUD!

jenclair said...

Beautiful... as is the Madonna quilt on the wall.

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...