Sunday, November 27, 2005

The Dish Ran Away With the Spoon

A couple of weeks ago Debra posted in her blog about how she's inherited a kitchen full of things that she didn't especially care for, but that she couldn't get rid of. I offered her a challenge: that if she would replace a few of her kitchen things with items she liked, I would replace my twenty-year old collection of mismatched flatware with the "good" flatware I've got put away. Well, Debra, good sport that she is, rose to the challenge and bought a nice selection of new dishes. On Thanksgiving, I upheld my part of the bargain.

Here's a shot of my "before" flatware drawer. I started with a nice set of stainless that I picked out in the mid-80s, but that is now seriously missing forks. I also filled in over the years with some cheap plastic-handled pieces that are very flimsy.



And here's my "after" drawer. I don't know why I've "saved" these for special occasions. They are beautiful and heavy. I love the bamboo-shaped handles, but I bought them at Montgomery Ward on clearance! Sheesh, it's not like they were expensive. I remember when I went to pay, the cashier said, "we had that HERE?"



This picture looks pink because I was wearing a pink sweater when I took the photo. I originally kept all the knives and the dinner forks from the old set, but on second thought, I just kept the steak knives and the remaining dinner forks. Michael took the rest to the homeless shelter for me.

How nice to enjoy the things I have, and how foolish to save nice things only for rare special occasions. Everyday is special now in my kitchen. Next, I'm going to clean out my serving utensils...

2 comments:

Debra Dixon said...

Great looking silverware! They would be fab here for our "tropical look". Kudos to Michael for taking the old ones to the homeless shelter and to keep you from letting them sneak back in the drawer!

Wasn't that easy? :-)

Barbara C said...

Yes, for the first day or so I had the old silverware sitting on the counter, and everyone kept using them. It was easy to let them go knowing that they'd go to a place where they'd be put to good use.

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...