Sunday, September 30, 2012

Are We There Yet?


I frequently get about 75% of the way through a project when I just run out of steam.  As usual, I hit a wall with this project over the last month.  It took me a long time to piece the one-more-block I needed to go on, and then the embroidery lagged until I got sidelined with a cold, and with some unexpected free time, I finished the embellishment. 

I started to wonder if I could get away with making this a 9 vs 12 block piece.  I already had misgivings over my original plan to put an image of St. Francis in the middle of the blocks.  I also liked the size of nine 8-inch blocks, and began to see that three more blocks weren't going to add any significant elements to the piece.  

I then recalled that I have a St. Francis medal (alongside one of St. Claire) in one block, and I moved that one to the center.

 
I found some possible sashing fabric: a brown paisley, some shiny fabric for a thin inner border, and an outer border candidate in gold and tan.




I'm pretty much resolved to spend the rest of this year sashing and piecing these nine blocks.  It will probably require some embroidery on the sashing and the blocks may need some tweaking: for example that large sunflower patch in this month's block needs to be reduced or toned down.  

Now that I have a new plan the "are we there yet?" feeling is somewhat at bay.  We'll see what construction challenges lie ahead as I tackle the rest of this project.

4 comments:

beth said...

THis is a GREAT project! I like the sashing in the last picture on the left. This will be a lovely quilt!

allie aller said...

A wonderful solution to keeping your mojo to get this project finished. It is going to look fabulous with that sashing too...(one of the fabrics I recognize from long ago; I used mine all up. You've got a deep stash, Barbara!)

Magpie Sue said...

What an interesting development!

Reading about the work on each of these blocks has never failed to make me want to pick up needle and thread to embellish something. Machine piecing seems to always have taken precedence however. I have to wait for my hand to heal further before I'll be able to do much hand work now. I'm afraid that means my 2012 Bead Journal Project is going to have to wait until 2013 to be stitched!

margaret said...

just signed up fpr 2013 chalenge and been looking at blocks from the challenge for inspiration.

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...