Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Hats


As they keep saying on Game of Thrones, winter is coming.  To help some folks prepare for the cold season, I made these hats for a charity hat drive on Ravelry, and was able to do a bit of stash-busting of odd skeins of wool and to try out some of the dozens of free hat patterns available on the site.  I kool-aid dyed the light blue and the violet yarn from a reclaimed sweater I've knit a couple of other projects from already.  Most of the other hats were made with worsted wool held double.  These were fun and quick to make, and then they went into the mail.


Seeing all these hats flying off my needles, Michael decided he wanted one too.  He picked a dark grey wool from my stash, and a motif from one of Alice Starmore's Fair Isle books.  I used the stitch count from the Strib hat pattern, which I'd made as written in the variegated yarn for donation.  It calls for a 96-stitch cast-on, and I substituted one section of ribbing for the various ribbing sections in the pattern.  The motif was in a 12-stitch repeat, and so all the math worked out neatly.


Here's the finished hat.  It's reminded me how much I like color work, and it was very satisfying to whip out in a couple of days. I knit the color work section in a very peaceful couple of hours on a Sunday morning.

I asked my son if he wanted a hat too, and he picked the same grey, but with no motif.  He's a minimalist.

I'm already happy with my winter hat, which I made a couple of years ago from the Columbia beret pattern (also free) which I made in red.  Now I'm thinking I may want to knit myself some nice gloves, and I'm considering these.  Yes, gloves with birds on them.  How perfect is that?

5 comments:

Debra Dixon said...

Great stashbusters! My hat's off to you! Anytime you can bust stash and help someone else, that's a win-win in my opinion.

sophie said...

Looks like I'm not the only one enjoying the urge to knit! I love the fair aisle hat ... and those nut hatch gloves are great.

(I like the idea of using up odd balls in charity hats--I may have to follow your excellent example.)

Magpie Sue said...

Cute birds on the glove pattern!

I remember my mother whipping out these types of hats. Used to have quite a collection ourselves. ;- )

Judy S. said...

Good job on all the hats! I made a couple of purple ones for the "Don't Shake the Baby" campaign. The link is on my blog in case you have any little bits of purple yarn in your stash.......
How's your CQ project comin'?

HollyM said...

Do you have a pattern for the hat? I'm wondering what size needles you used. I love the grey one with the fair isle!

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...