Saturday, June 30, 2012

Spiderweb Quilt


I pulled out an old project to work on: a paper pieced spiderweb quilt.  I made one of these with purple stars for my daughter years ago, and I chose a cheerful yellow for this one.

The spiderweb quilt is one of my favorites.  I love the variety of fabrics one can use.  I have seen people cut the spiderwebs from pieced strips, which would make it go faster, but I'm doing mine the old school way, which creates more variety.  I have saved up lots of scraps over the years, and I like how they make a kind of  journal.  I still run across snippets of fabric I used to make clothes for my kids when they were little, so this is a memory quilt of projects going way back in time.


I organize my small scraps roughly by size, and then pull from the pile as I piece these blocks. I'm using a paper piecing pattern from an old issue of Quick Quilts, a special issue of Quilt magazine.

We'll see how many blocks I can make before I run out of enthusiasm and put it aside again.  But I really would like this quilt for my bed.  I may have to load up a good audio book--I already have Hardy's Return of the Native on my ipod--and get in the zone.  Otherwise, I'm fighting back the "are we there yet?" feeling and thinking of how this might make a nice table runner.

6 comments:

Jeanne said...

I love string blocks, I love scrappy, and I LOVE Thomas Hardy :)
Jeanne

Debra Dixon said...

looks exactly like my stack of scraps--we save the same size too.

What does the paper pattern look like?

beth said...

I just love that yellow you're using!!! You have inspired to make one of these quilts!

Rian said...

Oh that's a beauty alright. If you run out of steam it could be a bed runner.

Magpie Sue said...

Oh - hang in there! I want this to be a bed size quilt for you! Just think of all the memories it will hold when it's finally done. I totally understand the "are we there yet?" feeling. I'm having the same issue with my current string quilt. Maybe you can make a block or half a block a day or a week, just make this a slow work in progress?

Judy S. said...

Looks like a fun and interesting pattern, Barbara. I like the way the yellow stars offset the colorful spiderwebs!

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...