Saturday, May 20, 2006

Finish Line


Here are a few things I've finished lately. First, I've finished a quilt that's been moved from chair to table and back for months in my sewing room. I call it "Boxes of Ribbons" and it's about 85x89 inches. I love this pattern, which is loosely based on a Fons and Porter design. I may have to keep it for myself, as these colors are pretty bold for most people. Here's the back:

And here's a purse I knitted for my niece Maria, who recently turned 15:

The pattern is available free from KnitPicks.com. The pattern is called Chunky Cable Handbag and I knit mine on size 11 needles with two strands of worsted weight yarn. It knits up very quickly in a few hours.

And this isn't finished, but here's the hatbox quilt, coming along nicely. I have to decide if I'm going to add more borders (see the trial on the right side) and make a bed-sized quilt, or if I will finish it at its current size for the living room sofa.

Here are all the term papers and essays I finished grading this week. Whew! I've got a week or so off, and then I teach five weeks of summer school. You know what they say about idle hands.

7 comments:

Deb Hardman said...

Wow, isn't it nice to get things completed?

Rian said...

Love your Boxes of Ribbons, what a perfect name. Just lovely, I think you should keep it.

allie aller said...

I love that Box of Ribbons pattern, too. Great!
The hat boxes work better for me without the additional border. I thought the scale and proportions of it were perfect before.
Lots and lots of term papers there. I wonder how often you have to read the same ideas over and over...and how often someone really original comes along....?

Debra Dixon said...

I like the hat quilt as it is--except maybe with a blue outer border but certainly not with more brown. It seems like a good size as a wallhanging now.

I know you must be ready for a good long break from school!

Micki said...

I like your Boxes of Ribbons quilt. I don't think the colors are too bold at all.

I also wanted to thank you for your nice comments about my May journal. I couldn't find an email addy, so I hope it is okay to leave this message here.

jenclair said...

I especially like the way the "ribbons" give an added sense of dimension!

I'm so grateful that I no longer have to grade term papers. It used to take me forever...and I stayed in knots looking at the pile and waiting for it to begin to diminish.

Kay said...

As a former teacher, I can completely identify with that stack of papers! How you can do that and your quilting is amazing. I've only beenn "creative" since I stopped the other life. Hooray for you!

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...