Sunday, March 19, 2006

Size Matters


I decided to clean out my drawer of blue fabrics. I was inspired by this scrap quilt artfulsister posted to her blog. I love the illusion of circles this pattern makes.

I'd been wanting to make a blue and yellow quilt and so I cleaned out my blue drawer and cut up all my smallish blue fabrics. These blocks make up very quickly. You basically make a 4-patch and then attach squares you fold back into triangles in the corners. This went together so fast that I quickly had a lap-sized quilt, but I have more blue fabrics I wouldn't mind using up, so I may go for a larger 80x80 inch quilt.


My only qualm is that I dislike the wrestling required to quilt a larger quilt. I think I can quilt this one pretty simply with straight lines, so I think I've decided to make an exception to my recent tendency to made table-top sized pieces.

I like these monochromatic quilts. I've selected a pattern with which to clean out my brown drawer.

4 comments:

DebbyMc said...

I love it Barbara! This is a great and easy way to use up scraps, I'm going to have to try it! Thanks for the link to her site...

sophie said...

What a great, easy, scrappy pattern. I like how, depening on the value placement you get "fancy" bow-ties or 4-patch snowballs.

allie aller said...

What a nice idea, Barbara....I like the pattern, too...I have a nice pile of repro fabric from the Civil War that I've been wanting to sew up in a fast way...this might be it!

Sandra said...

I've heard of 'stash envy'...I think I'm having an attack. What a great assortment of 'blues'. Just recently getting into quilting my stash of cotton fabrics is pretty pitiful! I have mostly more exotic fabrics like satins and silks. Happy quilting!

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...