The journal quilt project has been challenging and fun. I felt free to try new things, since, if it didn't work out, I wasn't going to ruin a large major piece. Here's the front side of my finished page:
Here's the flip side:
Each side features a photo of my hand, which I manipulated by pasting it into a Word file. When you do that, a menu of effects appears, and I tried different ones until I found two that I liked. The manipulated images were printed onto transfer paper and then ironed on to fabric. The one on the back didn't transfer very clearly, so I machine quilted around it. I also framed that one with jute rick-rack.
The front side was foundation pieced and then heavily quilted. The idea of this image came to me in a yoga class.
I composed the words I wanted to use, and then tried writing and stamping them on strips of fabric and ribbon with gel pens and fabric paint. I settled on using my alphabet stamps and acrylic pain.
I also added gold buttons.
The foundation for the back side came out of my stash of itty bitty scraps.
I picked browns, and spread them end to end on a scrap of denim. I covered the whole thing with tulle and then quilted the heck out of it. I added the photo and trimmed it. At the last minute, I got daring and stamped some copper colored leaves on the top part. I think it came out nicely.
My major experiment with this piece was the photo manipulation. I intend to do more of this as the year goes on. I also intend to reflect on my dreams and visions.