Tuesday, September 04, 2018

Progress Report on the Big Scrappy Quilt



I've been working on my king-sized scrap quilt.  This pattern, Wild Child, is from Bonnie Hunter's book String Fling.  I've experimented with various methods of making the many (1440 to be exact) half-square triangles that this quilt will require.  

 

Cutting strips and sewing them together along both long sides, and then cutting the half-square triangles, as illustrated above, has proven to be the fastest and most accurate method. I just line up the center line on my 2.5 inch square ruler with the seam line, and then cut.
 



When I make the light blocks, I'm going to reduce the scrappiness of the background fabrics going forward.  This pattern is already very busy, so a more controlled palette of cream fabrics will make the quilt a little more controlled and increase the contrasts.  

While I'm sewing I often listen to free audio books on from  Librivox.  They have an app I've downloaded to my phone, and they have a catalogue of titles read by volunteer readers.  All the books are in the public domain, so they are mostly classics.  I've enjoyed listening to novels by Thomas Hardy, Edith Wharton, and the Brontës.  I'm currently listening to Willa Cather's O Pioneers!  While I sew, my mind can be anywhere, time traveling among people of the past.

4 comments:

Debra Dixon said...

I applaud your tenacity with the triangles! Gracious!
Definitely a scrapbuster & so perfect for your style. I love all the blocks with women. :-)

Mcirishannie f/k/a quilt til you wilt said...

Love the idea of Libravox. Will give that a try. I love Bonnie Hunter and her awesome use of scrap. This is fantastic!

Judy S. said...

Wow! What a pretty and big quilt this is going to be! Interesting about Librivox, too. Thanks.

شوشو said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...