Tuesday, June 07, 2016

Pillow Talk


I took the house blocks I'd recently made and sewed them into a pillow.  It feels good to be finished with these blocks.  


Continuing with the house theme, I sewed up another pillow with a piece of machine embroidery from Debra, and various home dec fabrics.

These make a nice group on one end of the day bed in my sewing room.


I got pillows for the other end of the day bed from this huipil--a traditional Mexican embroidered tunic--given to me by my friend Maria.  She loved this huipil and wore it until there were threadbare spots in the loose-weave cotton.


I did some very basic repairs on some of the holes, zig-zaging over the frayed edges and backing the fragile fabric with some white cotton.  Then I fussy cut some pillows from the fabric.


One of the small pillows is for Maria, as a thank you for sharing this beautiful embroidered fabric.


All of these pillows are backed with the banded portions of the fabric, and I have some pieces left over--maybe for some zippered bags.

2 comments:

margaret said...

such a lovely collectin of pillows you have made especially liking the house block ones and wondering re the sampler is it an old antique one or a modern one

Debra Dixon said...

What a great lot of pillows! The embroidery looks super as a pillow.
And, all are so lovely on your quilt. I remember it fondly!

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...