Sunday, January 20, 2013

Coping



Part of my lag in putting this crazy quilt together has been thinking through a plan for how to deal with some of the structural challenges.  Despite my intentions, I ended up with blocks in a range of sizes,  so I decided to baste them to some gridded interfacing in order to line them up more or less evenly.


In a few places I ended up with some gaps between the block and the sashing, like you can see above.  In the lower block I inserted a piece of green ribbon, and in the upper block, I added a piece of woven ribbon Allie Aller sent me a few years ago, set at an angle.  If you look at the quilt in the photo below, you can see these are the top two blocks in the center column, and you can see the repair.


I've got the horizontal sashing almost completely sewn down.  I've cut the sashing with over-wide seam allowances, which I've pressed down on one side only.  I hand stitch the pressed side down, then turn and hand stitch the other side, coping with any irregularities as I go.  The vertical sashing is ready to be stitched, and I've chosen this fussy cut border print for the outer border.  I can see the end in sight!