Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Quilting Again


I finished my Friendship Star quilt, which will go to Debra for quilting and donation as part of the Quilt Smackdown.  I made only a minor dent in my stack of 5" squares, but I've gotten the quilt bug again I think.  


Seeing this fabric on another blog added to my enthusiasm for quilting again.  It's a Kaffe Fasset print that was on sale from Hancock's of Paducah.


Of course, I had to get the black too.  There's something about the black colorway that reminds me of Mexican textiles.


The white floral panels are the perfect alternate blocks for these scrappy stars I've been making.  I think I'll add another row of blocks so the finished quilt will be twin sized.  The floral blocks are too small, so I'll add some plain white fabric to size them up. 
 

Here are three more cotton towels fresh off the loom.  My technique is getting better.   I finished these with some hemstitching, and I threw in an extra row of hemstitching on the towel on the right as a design element.  

I cleaned up my sewing room in preparation for getting the rugs cleaned in the house.  I put away the piles and organized my closet.  Now that I have a nice open and orderly space, I really want to spend some time in there.   Of course, there's a growing pile of midterms waiting to be graded too, so my weekends may be not be mine for awhile. 



5 comments:

Debra Dixon said...

Hallelujah! The Quilting Barbara is back! It's been a long wait but definitely worth it! If those floral squares don't holler your name, I don't know what would!

allie aller said...

Love the combination of printed florals and scrappy stars...very interesting...welcome too, back to sewing!

Magpie Sue said...

Those floral blocks are indeed perfect for your scrappy stars. And kudos on the Friendship Star finish! I bet those towels are wonderful to use.

Kay said...

I like the way the red star manages to hold its own against the other fabrics. That makes it an interesting design. The same goes for the floral squares and the patchwork. Very striking work!

Judy S. said...

Love that friendship quilt! Isn't Kaffe Fasset's eye for color great? That's going to be a fun quilt. Your weaving is amazing! You are one talented person!

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...