I saved this old sweater to harvest the yarn. I wore this sweater a lot, but although the wool yarn was still good, the color had started to fade in spots, and it didn't fit me very well anymore.
I unraveled it and wound the yarn into skeins. Here's my favorite tutorial on reclaiming yarn from knitted garments. I got two big skeins: one from the back and one from the front, and two smaller skeins from the sleeves. I soaked these for several hours until they were good and wet and then Koolaid dyed the yarn similar to the way I did before.
The small skeins got dyed with two colors of Koolaid: purple and orange. I just barely dipped part of the skeins in the purple, which resulted in an olive green. The parts I left in longer dyed a dark brown, and the orange turned into a nice rust color.
Snazzy, huh? These will make some nice fingerless gloves or a shawlette. The yarn is fingering weight.
One of the big skeins got dipped in a pot of blue Koolaid, and then I pulled out one end, added more Koolaid to the pot, and let the other end get darker.
This is enough for a nice shawl. Those light bands are the spots where I tied the skeins. Next time I'll tie them more loosely, though I like the random light bits.
I ran out of Koolaid for the other skein, which I dyed an almost solid rust after a quick trip to the store for more orange. I've been accumulating some shawl pattens on Ravelry, but I'll have to wait for the yarn to dry to cast on.
I hope you're looking forward to a creative week. I feel my schedule calming down into a more manageable pace, so I'm looking forward to some new projects.