Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Micro Fiber Laptop Case from a Women's Suit

I needed a laptop case, and decided to use a micro fiber women's suit I picked up for $1 at the thrift store. It's a nice soft yellow, though it photographed a little paler than it is in real life.

Actually, I started out making a messenger bag like I did here, but you know, sometimes projects have a life of their own.

Micro fiber looks and feels like suede, but it's polyester, so it's machine washable. It also doesn't fray. It sometimes is labeled Ultrasuede. The skirt has a lot of usable fabric.


And the jacket had these nice pin tucks that I cut across for some interesting textured strips.



It's the simplest sewing: you make a big rectangular envelope. Since the skirt was lined, I didn't need to add lining, though I did add a big pocket cut from the suit fabric. I used the strips like bias binding to hold all the layers together. The cool buttons are dollar store finds.

I could have used this laptop case on some of my summer trips. In May I was at the Getty Museum in Malibu, which has spectacular grounds

I fell in love with the windows in the parking garage.

And earlier this month I was in Albuquerque. Here are some shots of the National Hispanic Cultural Center.


They know how to do skies in New Mexico.


Now that I'm back home, I can take my laptop case into the redwood forest.

4 comments:

Kay said...

That's very clever! It reminds me of a bag I saw once made from a man's suit jacket. The sleeve opened flat but with the as buttons trim was the flap.

Debra Dixon said...

I agree-very clever!

Judy S. said...

You are one clever person, Barbara! Nice photos. I love redwood trees, a perfect illustration of "majestic".

beth said...

First off..I love that computer bag! It's lovely. I think, though, that your thrift store has much better prices than mine!!

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...