Thanks for your good wishes about the earthquake. I think my heart rate is almost back to normal and the general level of panic in the community is subsiding a bit. I went grocery shopping yesterday and the store was jammed and people were shopping for the end of the world, but I think things should continue to calm down as the days pass.
I'm working on the next piece in my seasonal Madonna series. I'm working with the Hoffman Virgin of Guadalupe fabric, and I cut out the motifs and use them as appliques. Here's an image of the original motif trimmed down.
The background for the four pieces are a set of vintage napkins. I take out the hems and trim them up so that the finished pieces are 16 x16 inches
Like for the Fall Madonna, I'm switching out the Madonna's robes to match the season of each piece. For this one I gave her and black and cream costume, and the new fabric is added over the old with needle-turn applique. I like the winter foliage in the print for her veil, and the skirt fabric has a Jacobean-style subtle print that I've used as the pattern for the bead embellishment.
Because this is the Winter Madonna, I've chosen the poinsettia as the floral motif for this piece. I found some poinsettia beads that I've worked into the skirt. At the bottom you can see the machine basting that I used to outline this piece. The stitching will be the fold line for the applique and I'll cut the rest of the fabric away about an eighth of an inch from the stitching.
Here's the finished motif. I'm thinking that when I attach her to the background, I'll add embellishment along her edge.
And this is my mock-up of the placement of the elements on the background. I use a freezer paper outline of the Madonna to figure out where to place her. I'm also using a piece of black lace to indicate the new moon. Each piece will incorporate a different phase of the moon.
Here's the completed Fall Madonna for reference. I'll be adding silk ribbon embroidery and broidery perse flowers to the Winter piece as well.