Lately I check the thrift store for pillow cases. The 100% cotton ones, when they're in good condition, make excellent quilting fabric. These were on super-special: I got them for 13 cents each.
I'll buy poly-cotton pillowcases too if I like the print. I have no fear about polyester, and I figure since it's already in the world, I may as well use it and save it from the landfill. Occasionally I find cool vintage prints, but these I bought because I wanted some neutrals to use in a scrap quilt.
I pulled some 2.5" strips from the scrap drawer. I got a lot of these from Debra in a swap.
Once it's washed and ironed, I cut the pillowcase up the long side, taking out the seam. Then I cut it into 2.5" strips. From there, you know the drill. I sewed each neutral strip to a scrappy strip.
The cats love the cutting table because of the sunny window. They're not much help.
The seamed strips were cut into 2.5" units
and these 2-patches are assembled into 4-patches.
I don't worry about creases from the pillowcase fabric. I like to leave little traces of the fact that I'm using recycled materials. When I use shirts, I like to leave in a few pocket or cuff seams.
Each strip of pillow case fabric yielded 6 or 7 4-patch units.
One pillow case yielded over 80 scrappy 4-patches. In part two, I'll dip back into the scrap drawer and use the other pillow case. In the meantime, Wee will guard the blocks.