Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Doll House


For awhile I've been thinking about getting a doll house. I scanned on-line sites, thinking I'd buy a doll house kit, which is a popular way of buying a new doll house, but all those little pieces put me off.

When I was a kid I had one of those tin doll houses with the rugs and wallpaper stamped on. It came with hollow plastic furniture all in one color. You can buy them now on eBay and I saw one in a local antiques store and almost bought it. But I wasn't quite ready, and it wasn't quite what I wanted.

Then in late April my dollhouse found me at the Methodist church rummage sale. It was ten dollars, and like some of the treasures I bring home, it needed a little love. Michael thought I was crazy, but he humored me and carried it to the car. He's good that way. He doesn't care much what I do as long as I'm happy.

A broken down doll house is full of possibilities. Each flaw is an opportunity for something new and wonderful.

The back roof of this one was dilapidated cardboard. The staircase is missing, and the interior is dark and full of wood veneer.


The outside is mismatched: a hodge podge of broken trim and unfinished details. I'm guessing it was a kit from the 80s. It's structurally sound, but it needs a face lift.

But what will it be? An artist's getaway? An idealized childhood home? A 60s college rooming house? It's full of choices, full of dreams and possibilities.

I'm going to chronicle my doll house rehab in the next few posts. I've finished the exterior face lift, and as soon as I order the new staircase, I'll start in on the interior. I'll buy furniture last. Watch to see how it turns out.

7 comments:

Vicki W said...

Oh, this will be fun!

Debra Dixon said...

I hope it doesn't become like some of those DIY real house fixups on TV! At least you don't have much money involved. . . yet!

dee said...

Can't wait to see what you do with it. I've always wanted a dollhouse. Hopefully a female grandchild will give me a good excuse to go hog wild.

Magpie Sue said...

Ooo, what fun! Right now it sounds like several of the old homes I've lived in over the years, dark and in need of some TLC. My aunt - who had only boy children - acquired a dollhouse for herself at some point after they were grown and had loads of fun fixing it up and furnishing it.She even stitched tiny petite point rugs for it and everything.

allie aller said...

This is just incredibly soulful, Barbara.
It's like a poem in the works somehow...don't know why, but it is.

Anonymous said...

Oh, what fun. I can't wait to see this little home-improvement project evolve through your loving hands. I always wanted a dollhouse, now I can have one vicariously.

Finn said...

What a treasured find Barb!! *VBS* I'm so very happy and excited for you. It seems perfect!! I think if it had been all fancy-shmancy it wouldn't have had nearly the appeal. It need rescuing, as many of your treasure do. I'll can hardly wait to see all the wonderful things that will happen as you revamp it! Big hugs, Finn

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...