Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Blue Period

I've made all the blocks for this charity quilt and I've got the quilt designed. I have used up all the pre-cut squares I had made, and I found more of the yellow and white in my stash to finish up the corner squares. Finally putting this quilt together, I remembered why I liked this block design in the first place.

The quilt measures about 72 x 80. One of the long print strips (on the far right) is narrower than the one at the far left, and I may leave them uneven. In this design, I don't think it matters that they're not symmetrical. I should have time this weekend to stitch the top together.


That's a swatch of Debra's backing fabric to the right of the quilt. It's hard to see in the photo, but it coordinates nicely with he quilt. I have almost exhausted my supply of blue fabric, but not quite. I've got a nice pile of leftovers from this project for another quilt, and the backing fabric has some tan in it that I can use to stretch the blues. There may be another blue quilt coming. Then I think I'll need to shift colors. I'm ready to work in red.

8 comments:

Kay said...

I can see why you like this--so do I! I love the little bits of orange here and there, but could there be one in the lower left hand corner area too?

Judy S. said...

Very nice, Barbara. Looks like you've made a serious dent in your stash as well! I'll be awaiting your red phase; it's my favorite color.

Debra Dixon said...

I'm like that too--I wear myself out on one color and have to switch to some other color. This is going to be a fun quilt to quilt-I'll enjoy all the blues.

allie aller said...

Opposites attract!
I can see how you want to shift colors after the blues.

I love your quilt here. It is so "Barbara"! And it sparkles with life and comfort.
The backing is perfect with it, too...While a quilt is in use tucked up under the chin, the backing is visually very important. This we have realized!

Plus, it looks great on the design wall with your other projects....

*karendianne. said...

Barbara! Very inspiring and totally cool. I dig it.

dee said...

I like this very much and it packs a lot of punch for a simple block.
I also want to say how much I love the sweater from your last entry. Just beautiful.

Magpie Sue said...

Ooo, suddenly I see how this block could become a fun I Spy type of quilt for a child! Love getting new ideas :- )

Granny Fran said...

Ooh! Blue and yellow always look so delectable to me. Wonderful pattern.

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...