Sunday, February 22, 2009

More Baby Quilts

This quilt took a bit more time than I thought it would, but it's finally done. I love making 4-patch blocks, but since I used 2.5" strips, it took a lot of them to fill these rows. The fabric on the ends is vintage, and it was fun to use up these last pieces in this little quilt. I basically pulled anything from my stash in coordinating shades of green and yellow.

I used up more of that green gingham ruffle.

I pulled this remnant from my stash for the next baby quilt. It reminds me of a Vera print. I'm crazy for Vera, the 70s fabric designer.

I cut the blue floral print into 6.5" blocks, and made big 4-patch blocks in (sort of) coordinating colors to alternate. This one went together fast. I just have to sew the blocks together now.

These quilts will be going to Debra for her charity quilt project. She just posted pictures of a large floral print that she wants to use to back and border 10 quilts for the clients of a women's shelter. I've also posted a picture of some blocks I'd like to use for these quilts, if someone want to collaborate with alternate blocks. Check out the Quilt Studio site for pictures and details.

6 comments:

Debra Dixon said...

I am going to love getting my hands on these quilts! They look very trademark Barbara!

allie aller said...

These are really gentle and serene in feel. They'll have a nice effect on baby's mom!

*karendianne. said...

Wonderful. Really really love this. Too cute and very happy!

Judy S. said...

Very pretty and dainty quilts, Barbara, perfect for babies. Thanks for the Vera reminder! I loved her stuff, too. That's a great shawl pattern and a neat idea for a pin. I well remember those kilt days!

Gloria said...

Hola Barbara !! me encantan todos estos trabajos hechos con scraps, siempre tienes muy buen gusto para combinar colores y hacer de ellos "cute quilts" ....abrazos desde Argentina..Gloria

Finn said...

Hi Barb, my goodness you've been busy! I love the Tasha Tudor shawl, they look wonderful *VBS* She's a favorite of mine across the years. I have on her little paperback book with vintage art work, I cherish it. I'l love to live in HER cottaga!
The combo baby quilt top are awesome, you do really great work with odd fabrics and it seems so natural and easy when you do it. A high five for great design ideas.
Hope all is well with you. Hugs, Finn

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...