Sunday, January 11, 2009

My Thought Process


I had made four of these Mississippi Wheel of Fortune blocks--the design is by Karen Stone--some time ago. It's taken me until now to decide that I don't want to make any more, and so I'll make a small quilt and move on. I sashed the blocks and put on a wide black and white border. But then it looked a little unfinished to me.


So I cut up a bunch of 3.5" squares and created a new, more colorful border. And I auditioned an orange outer border.

And then I thought, but I've got plenty of fabric laying around, and I just cut a bunch of 2.5" strips. So I made blocks.




I'm encouraged in this move by the Material Obsession site. They have great eye candy, and I've noticed that a lot of the quilts I've found interesting on their site, instead of getting calmer as they move outward from the middle, seem to get busier and busier. We'll see what comes next. Bunny is helping me to think it over.

15 comments:

Donna said...

what great blocks to have started with... I look forward to seeing where this voyage takes you.

Vicki W said...

I love your thought process! You are really making somethng special from your 4 orphan blocks.

Judy S. said...

Bunny looks like a big help, only I'm thinking he's (she?) holding back on a very important comment.... That's an interesting block and looks very time consuming!

Libby said...

When I saw your top picture my first thought was "Material Obsessions"...I love their stuff, and your quilt fits right in. Very fun.

Debra Dixon said...

I love how you got tweety bird on that one block! I'll have to jump over to Material Obsessions and see what is going on. As always, love what you do!

Kay said...

I think it's wonderful up to the orange border; beyond that, it's wilder than I could do. But you're bold, so go for it if you want!

allie aller said...

I LOVE where this is heading!

Catherine Arnold said...

Barbara, I enjoy your blog so much. You inspire me. Happy New Year. I'm in Berkeley helping my aunt after a knee surgery. I think I deleted our next date accidentally. Would you send it to me again? Thank you and see you soon.
p.s. I'm in a sock knitting frenzy!

Jeri said...

I love what you're doing with your blocks! Very inspirational.

Anonymous said...

Just when you thought you were done...it decided to take on a life of its own!! I love it when that happens. It's really pretty.

Susan Elliott said...

Crazier as you go out is working, my dear! I love that crazy outside edge and know you'll think of something more fabulous. Why didn't you like the wheel of fortune pattern? Was it easy or a stinker because I'm interested...

quiltmom anna said...

HI Barbara,
I love the Karen Stone blocks- I have her book and have wanted to make some of her patterns for a long time but it is like many other patterns: waiting its turn in line ( LOL)- Your quilt reminds me of Freddy Moran. Do you know her book Colloborative Quilting that she co wrote with Gwen Marston? I love all the riotous color in their book right down to Freddy's bright red glasses- SHe is totally funky..
I will be interested to see the finished project- I am sure it will be amazing...
Happy New Year to you and yours,
Anna

Granny Fran said...

This is a great continuation of your way of using fabric. Material Obsessions is so exciting, thanks for linking to them.

Granny Fran said...

Also, Bunny is a love of a cat.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...