Friday, August 01, 2008

Striking While the Iron's Hot


I'm on a roll in the sewing room, probably because I have to go back to work soon, so I'm trying to use the free time I've got right now.

In a bit of serendipity, I found some bird charms at Jo-Ann's that I immediately conjured a use for. I have this crazy block I made one of in Sharon B's embroidery classes that was sitting in the drawer.
I added some silk tie pieces, sized it up to 12 x 12, and backed and bound it. With the bird charms, it's now part of my 12 x 12 bird series.
I'm calling this one "Wisteria." Although it's a bird series, all of the pieces are named for flowers or plants. Go figure.
It's a pretty block and I put a lot of work into it, so now I can display it with the others.

Remember my red basket blocks?

I pieced them with some 4-patches, added borders, and last night I pin basted it.

If I get really ambitious I will quilt it soon.

6 comments:

Vicki W said...

You are on a roll! Both are great projects.

Debra Dixon said...

How cute is your little basket quilt? Very cute!

Great idea to finish your CQ block for your Bird Series. Do you intend to make more pieces? If so, let me know--maybe I can send you a bird or two.

Judy S. said...

What a pretty CQ block! I like the quilt, too. Must be something in the weather these days as I've been finishing stuff also.

JoWynn Johns said...

What a beautiful block. Such gorgeous stitching. Really wonderful work. But where did you add the tie silk? I looked and looked for any additions. This is great.

Deb Hardman said...

Nothing like deadlines to help move you along? I love your little crazy quilt, & the baskets are so charming! Red is my favorite color.

allie aller said...

I just love your diamond blocks quilt...so soft and cottage-y. (Actually, the word we use in my family is "cottaginous"...)

The bird CQ block is such a great addition to your series, too.

Keep those needles flying!

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...