Sunday, April 30, 2006

UFOs


Over at Quilt Studio people have been talking about UFOs in relation to their work style. I have a very laissez-faire attitude toward works in progress, and I don't sweat it if projects linger awhile until they get finished. Everything in its time is my motto.

This week I took out not one but two UFOs, because somehow I figured that they might work together. The center portion is made of hat box blocks from one of Kaffe Fassett's books. After I made these 9 blocks I decided I'd had enough and I put them aside. I had collected home dec fabric samples for the specific purpose of making these blocks, but then that became a project unto itself, and I continued to collect them. Eventually I made the border blocks in the photo from another batch of home dec fabrics. I put these aside after I decided to construct a second quilt by alternating these blocks with the gold and beige print fabric you can see in the sashing.

Recently I realized these two projects might like to live together. I'm glad I waited until I came to this juncture with these projects. Something else entirely has materialized. As you can see, I still have design decisions to make. This is one of my favorite parts of the process: improvising, trying things out and seeing what grabs me.

4 comments:

allie aller said...

This is just incredibly rich.
You couldn't have planned this exact quilt, perhaps...and yet the two projects it is composed of originated from that single sense and sensibility that is Barbara, so they harmonize effortlessly.

This is easily my favorite of your quilts to date...can't wait to see you bring it all to completion!

Granny Fran said...

They look like they were designed to go together. Serendipidies (?) like this are what make quilting such an exciting and satisfying activity. Look forward to seeing the finished quilt.

Debra Dixon said...

Definitely go for it with this combo! They both "read" like they were planned to go together. How about a doily or two for the corners? (I know you don't have any of those! *wink*)

Deb Hardman said...

It looks beautiful so far. I can't wait to see where you go from here.

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...