Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Stitching Away


My university closes for the whole Thanksgiving week, so I've had some much-needed downtime to sit and do some sewing.  My daughter wanted a new apron.  I've made her half aprons for work (she's a restaurant cook) in the past, but this time she wanted a full apron.  I used a "heirloom" apron my son made in middle school (about 10 years ago).  I still wear it when I cook.  Allie wanted hers to be a little wider, so I allowed for a few more inches at the sides, and made it longer, but otherwise used Alex's apron as a pattern.


I cut the fun faux-1950s kitchen fabric and the lining at the same time with the rotary cutter.


I rotary cut long strips for the ties, pressed to the middle, and top-stitched.


Allie asked for a pen holder...


...a big pocket, and a loop.


Success!  Even Louie the cat is impressed.

2 comments:

margaret said...

just the job, if she is anything like me though it will get splashed with fat and all sorts of unmentionables!

WendyCarole said...

Great pinny ( I mean apron :)

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...