Sunday, June 16, 2013

Closet and Archive



This only just passed through my radar: Appearances Can Be Deceiving: The Dresses of Frida Kahlo, a collaboration between the Frida Kahlo Museum and Vogue Mexico, opened on November 24th, 2012 and will run for a full year.  This article has a video interview with the exhibit's curator, who talks about Kahlo's choice of dress, and the article explains how it took 58 years for the contents of Frida's closet to come to light.

How wonderful that Kahlo scholars are attuned to the importance of these dresses and other personal objects.  They are so deeply identified with Frida and with the image she constructed of herself as a Mexican woman artist.  Now here are some textiles with stories to tell.



2 comments:

Debra Dixon said...

Such gorgeous ensembles too--I wish we wore clothes like that now.

Debra Dixon said...

That's a good video.

I remember when I saw Princess Diana's wardrobe on display in Houston. It was very haunting while also interesting. I imagine seeing Frida's clothes would be just as moving.

Such a significant contribution.
I didn't know that Diego died just 3 years after Frida.

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...