Sunday, February 24, 2013
One Down, Eleven to Go
I finished one block in my 30s quilt block kit. I completed the embroidery on the one block that had the applique already finished and buttonhole stitched down.
An 80 year-old UFO can be a bit grimy. I soaked it for several hours in detergent and oxyclean. Toward the end, I treated the spots with some Fels Naptha, which is my stain remover of last resort.
The spotting on the block has faded, but it's still there. I have resolved that I won't let that bother me. This piece has earned its age spots. I think the darkest stain on the middle left may be a rust stain from a needle that was left in the fabric, since it's near where the previously embroidered section ended and the green embroidery thread was left hanging.
I'm going to adjust my thread colors for the next block. I want a darker yellow and I found a couple of darker greens in my stash. These blocks are 17 x 17 inches, so there's some room for trimming when it comes time to set them in a quilt top.