Thursday, August 07, 2008

Old and New

I bought a packet of Moda charm squares at IQF. They have a funky Halloween theme and a lot of orange accents. I'm going to pair them with this cream and black print and make a small quilt with all half square triangle blocks.

I've got a few other fabrics to throw into the mix. Louie is playing Vanna White and pointing to them with his lovely orange feet. He figures that since the theme is orange, he wants to be involved.

I bought the orange and blue Halloween yardage back in the 90s when my kids were small. They've been hemmed to use for small tablecloths. I used to decorate with seasonal tablecloths when my kids were little, so these have a lot of sentimental meaning for me. I'm going to work them into the Halloween quilt as accent blocks and borders. The brown fabric is actually only two small chunks. I don't know where I got it, but it looks like vintage 70s cotton. I wish I had more. It's obvious that the some of the Moda prints are inspired by this kind of 70s pattern.

I'm going to start making the blocks as soon as I bind the quilt I just quilted for my niece. Oh, and I'll have to do some work too.

3 comments:

allie aller said...

Your projects strike me as consistently happy and cheerful. Yet they also have a whole undertone of a kind of serious thoughtfulness...I guess they reflect the lovely person you are!

Judy S. said...

Isn't it annoying when work gets in the way of stitching? What a great idea to use old tablecloths! I've got a heart one left from a long ago shower...still using the Christmas ones though. Your Halloween quilt is going to be very nice....love the cream and black print! We're off tomorrow to see the APNQ show here.....

Debra Dixon said...

I was looking through my pile of "older" fabrics yesterday pulling candidates for Brent's next quilt. Two pieces were leftover very early 90s hawaiian print fabrics from shirts I made for him to wear in elementary school. I got sentimental about them for a minute then told myself to get a grip--he probably wouldn't remember them anyway!

I noticed in the latest Hancocks catalog quite a few 70s inspired fabric lines. I wonder how much the young designers got paid to redesign those looks? Now I wish I had some of those awful gaucho pants to cut up!

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...