Thursday, July 31, 2008

Y-Seams


The Y-seams have turned out to be no big deal. You just leave a 1/4" unstitched on the beginning and ending of every seam so that you can fit things together. Now that I've done 4 blocks, I told Debra I wish I were one of those designers who can call in an assistant to finish up the other blocks. Oh well, maybe next lifetime.


On the back you press all the seams so that they swirl in one direction. Then you smoosh (a technical term) all the bits where the seams come together in the center until you get a replica of the block. It all stays nice and flat. Pretty cool, huh?

4 comments:

Judy S. said...

Did you notice that the smooshed seams also form a 6-pointed star, a tiny version of the ones on the front-side of your piece?

Debra Dixon said...

Yup, pretty cool!

Kay said...

I've never thought Y seams were so hard either really, although something that is all Y seams like this might be a bit challenging. This looks wonderful. A great design!

Granny Fran said...

That pressed star is too pretty to hide on the back! I really like this pattern in these soft fabrics.

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...