Tuesday, July 29, 2008

One Sheet, One Pillowcase, Three Blouses and a Nightshirt

I came home from IQF with lots of energy for new projects. After my St. Therese piece, I also felt like doing some machine work.

I admire how DIY crafters use old linens and garments to make new things, which is also part of quilting's heritage. This piece started with the sheet. I love these big yellow roses, and the soft colors are nice.
It called to me at the thrift store where I got it for 50 cents because it had languished there so long. The two plaid blouses were XXL, so they yielded plenty of fabric. I must've picked them up when they had a $1.00 a bag sale because they're neither my size nor my style. One sleeve on each of the other two tops had already been used for doll clothes. When I pile things up in the sewing room I often discover combinations of fabrics that go well together. That's how these pieces found each other.
I used my diamond ruler (I think its 60 degrees, but don't quote me).
It's fun to play with the pattern possibilities.
How's this so far? Y-seams anyone?

9 comments:

Vicki W said...

Oh wow, that's really striking!

Unknown said...

Love - Love - Love your results so far! Your project is looking gorgeous!

Kay said...

I like the pattern the check fabric makes. If you don't want to try y seams, I guess hand piecing would be good for this.

Judy S. said...

Very clever. And here I thought you were making pajamas and pillowcases!

Debra Dixon said...

Totally Cool! you have the best knack for putting fabrics together!

Anonymous said...

Well just look at you go! Those Y-seams are a teensy bit daunting though. Gorgeous colors.

sophie said...

Y-seams? Y-not? I'm loving this piece already. Please keep it going . . .

allie aller said...

This has the most mellow and comforting feel to it...Y seams or not!

Cindra said...

Just gorgeous!

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...