Monday, November 26, 2007

The Valley of the Doll


I began my doll project by studying various patterns and books. My doll is made from a basic body pattern I found in an old Dover book. She has yarn looped hair, which was very tedious to make until I went and got large utility needles. Other than needles, I haven't needed a lot of new supplies.

Her face is embroidered and is a variation on the pattern's doll face. I think in the future I'll go for smaller eyes. These are a bit scary. I'm starting to keep a sketch book of face drawings, and I now look at fashion magazines with new eyes. Certain combinations of hairdos and clothes can call up very specific characters.
Because I want to make my doll an adult, I amended the body by giving her some boobs. I have some old doll clothes patterns that I edited to make her a blouse. Because of those boobs, that blouse is going to need darts. (That blur in the photo is my cat design consultant Bunny)
I found the perfect color for her blouse. One cool thing about making dolls is that you can get a blouse out of a fat quarter.
This blue blouse is an important part of her character. Stay tuned to see how she comes along.

9 comments:

chook said...

she is looking good
love her boobs hehe
hugs Beth

Debra Spincic said...

Is she a trip or what??!! and the pantaloons?? no thongs, eh?

You are really doing a fine job-scary eyes and all! She's a hoot!

Rian said...

Wow, how cool is that! I actually love her big orange eyes. Who says eyes have to be blue!

Susan said...

Oh, how cute is that! If anyone gives you a hard time about the lips, you can tell them you know someone with lips like that - me! I think her eyes are great! Looking forward to seeing the rest of her outfit!

Allison Ann Aller said...

She is not scary...she is remarkably challenging, however, which is so cool in a doll. A force to be reckoned with!
I will definitely stay tuned...this is awesome!

Dorothy said...

I think she looks just like Stockard Channing as Rizzo in Grease. Well, maybe with some pants on... I think she's great!

Kay said...

Such fun! I'll definitely be checking back on this to see the personality develop.

Sue in western WA said...

I'm thinking she looks like a self portrait doll...

Catherine said...

Barbara,
I think your doll looks a bit like you! I hope she'll be well accessorized: jewelry, handbag, and of course, shoes!

Congratulations on your blogoversary and your soon-to-be birthday. Have missed not seeing you.
Catherine