Sunday, January 28, 2007

Fabric at the Movies


I don't go to the movies that often, but I went to see Curse of the Golden Flower not knowing what to expect, and found it to be full of great eye candy. It has an interesting palette: gold predominates, with pink and red coming in a strong second. I loved the gold, but I'm undecided about whether or not I liked the pink and red. The costumes are opulent with lots of diaphanous fabrics and heavy brocades. As a bonus: embroidery is part of the plot. I'll warn the sensitive that there's a big bloody battle sequence, complete with flying ninjas, but it's one of those very stylized representations that seems, like the rest of the film, more epic than realistic.

I think the film has a quesionable message about the consequences of resisting authority, but the visuals are intriguing, and I always like a fiber-oriented plot.

5 comments:

Susan said...

I probably won't go see the movie, but I do love the colors and the fabrics in the picture!

Rian said...

Embroidery as plot...this I gotta see.

Debra Dixon said...

I've never been a big gold fan and so what do I do? Marry a man whose every possession is gold. But, that is quickly coming to an end. Red and Pink--can't get enough of those colors; as evidenced by the color of my studio walls and my current CQ quilt!

I love watching movies for the decorating interest and fabrics too!

Granny Fran said...

Gold fabrics, embroidery and Chun Yun Fat? I've got to see this one, my Lynx Point Siamese is named for that beautiful man (The King of Siam).

Kay said...

I had this movie on my to see list because the others by this director (can't remember the name) were so gorgeous. You've just reminded me. Thanks.

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...