I've finished the embellishments on the first of my four fans. I think I'll come back later and embellish the areas around the fans once I've done all four.
I find myself generally improvising off of Sharon's 100 details ideas: combining things in different ways. Some of the stitches I've used to finish the three blades on the top are: herringbone, whipped straight stitch, feather stitch over the rick-rack with straight stitches and French knots. I tackled that bold red plaid by putting down some small lace with fly stitches, beads and French knots, topped by beaded pink flowers. I'm not sure who's won the struggle for dominance: the flowers or the plaid.
That's a beaded scroll stitch at the far left, which is what came of my attempt at a twisted chain. I found some black cat buttons, and since I have a black cat, I included one in this fan in a vignette where she looks like she's watching the butterfly beads. I liked making the butterflies overlap two blades. I trimmed the whole piece with vintage gold trim, herringbone stitches, gold beads and detached chains. On the bottom of the fan I did that overlapping ribbon treatment with old pearls from a broken necklace.
I must say that this is fun and creative and challenging all at the same time. I'm finding new uses for some supplies that have been hanging around for a long time, and of course, I've been doing some new stash enhancement. In the next fan I think I'll start with some silk ribbon treatments. It'll be fun to try a new medium.