Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Fan Update


My second fan is coming along. I feel like I'm thinking more about how each block will relate to the others.







I included in my button cluster a western-themed button cover. I have more that I'll work into the other blocks.
















I love my spider and web. The instructions are from Annie's Crazy World (sorry, the link wouldn't work.) I used backstitch on my web instead of straight stitch because my thread was wobbly.







I made these open cretan stitches on the bottom with poly ribbon, which is harder to pull through fabric than silk, and I beaded them in gold. On the top, I beaded a piece of vintage trim.

























And I have finished this small (45x45) quilt titled "Remapping Arizona."
























I used this vintage tablecloth for the back:




















It has a copyright mark. Any guesses about what "USHP" stands for?

8 comments:

Kim West said...

That is a lovely spider - very cool!

Debra Dixon said...

I totally love your scrap quilts! They are so carefree and spirited! I think using the vintage tablecloth was a cool idea too. Will this be a piece for your table?

Rian said...

Oooh, yummy stuff Barbara! I love the spider web! Thanks for doing that and showing me the way, I've plans to do one in the next day or so.

Remapping Arizona is wonderful!

allie aller said...

Barbara, I love what you've been doing!

Unknown said...

This is my first time visiting your blog. "Recycling life into art" -> I love that! What a beautful fan = ) I wanted one of those Chinese fans for my wall, but I thought it might be too cheesy. After seeing yours, I think I can add some beads and paint and make it my own. Thanks for sharing!

Deb Hardman said...

Yikes! That spider is freaky! I'm SOOO Arachniphobic! & it looks a little too real to me!
Nice stitches though. :-)

Lil said...

I love your fan blocks and your quilts too.

glad you are sharing with us!

Granny Fran said...

Your fans are looking so good, and the spider and web are fantastic. Remapping Arizona is a beautiful quilt; as always I love the way you use fabric and the tablecloth back is a piece of genius. Love those old tablecloths and it is great to see them put to such a good use.

Economy Block and Large-Scale Fabrics

Recenlty I decided to take out and use the stash of Asian-themed fabrics I'd set aside.  Many of them are large scale, so I wanted to fe...